Monday, February 18, 2008

Repairing My Walls

As I struggle to incorporate the character traits of the Proverbs 31 woman into my own heart, the greatest hindrance I find is lack of self-control. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm a red-headed Irish lass and sometimes I feel like the very essence of my being is working against me here, but still it is no excuse for a short fuse!

At times I've had my cubs memorize the following Proverb when they have struggled with the sin of anger and a lack of self-control.

Proverbs 25:28 Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control.

The metaphor of a city wall is quite interesting. Here, it is our self-control that protects and defends our heart against the invasion of the enemy, just like the city walls of ancient Jerusalem. But if we let our wall crumble and fall, then we give Satan an entry point to attack and wreak havoc in our lives.

I think it's high time I commit this Proverb to memory myself, so the Holy Spirit can use that to convict my heart before I am teetering on the brink of hot-headed emotionalism!

So this week, before I burst out in frustration, I will count to 10, recite this Proverb and pray.

No comments: