Monday, January 21, 2008

Life is Sweet

Life is sweet. Yesterday, as our church joined many others in celebrating Sanctity of Life Sunday, I was reminded of how sweet it truly is.

As we discussed the devastating facts of abortion in our small group last night (approximately 3,700 babies aborted daily in the US alone; 126,000 worldwide!), many of us mentioned the reaction of our own children when they hear about mothers having their unborn babies killed. My cubs just look at me in astonishment and ask, "Why would anybody want to kill their baby?" I continue to answer, "I have no idea." It is truly alarming to me that our society has come to this.

In my effort to memorize Proverbs 31 this year, I thought that I would pull this week's memory verse from that pericope. It is a passage that came to mind quite often yesterday as I considered the precious gift of life that we in America so easily dismiss and how as a Christian mother I am called to take a stand.

Proverbs 31: 8-9 Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.

No comments: